Robert Greene, an American author known for his books on strategy, power, and seduction, has recently released a pre-recorded video that analyzes the current pandemic of irrational thinking that has swept the US, and the world.
If you enjoyed this video please share it!
In This Talk, You’ll Learn About:
- Why human beings have such an irrational nature
- How the coronavirus pandemic has caused a pandemic of irrationality
- The way people regard human rationality and the misconceptions of rationality
- The neuroscience behind how our brains are wired
- How social media affects our emotional rationality
- 00:16 The first chapter of the laws of human nature namely human rationality or the opposite human irrationality what makes us human beings such irrational creatures.
- 01:03 The common misconception that people have regarding human rationality.
- 02:18 Illustrations and three examples from everyday life scenarios.
- 04:17 An in-depth look at these three examples and ways in which to rationalize each of them.
- 05:45 The simple comparison of emotions and rationality explained with the “rider and the horse” metaphor.
- 06:33 How to create a harmonious balance between the two (rider and horse) to improve productivity, by understanding the animal and maintaining control.
- 07:18 My theory on rationality and its impact on emotions and behavior. What makes us behave the way that we do.
- 09:02 Explaining the term zeitgeist – the spirit of the times and the realities that are happening in the world today.
- 09:55 The three obvious realities to deal with – death, pain, and suffering, along with brain limitation.
- 12:33 Explaining the divorce from reality many persons suffer from, the source of the problems in their lives, and the simplicity of the mental process to be rational.
- 15:58 The powerful processes to adapt in life comprising of three emotional strengths and three essential attitudes.
- 16:15 The first quality – attitude-free spirit.
- 17:01 The second quality – patience.
- 17:43 The third quality – fearlessness, which is the most important quality.
- 19:15 The question of why there are many irrational persons in the world if the process is so simple.
- 20:02 The neuroscience behind how our brains are wired and our irrational behavior regarding the fight or flight phenomena.
- 24:30 The Rosie scenario and its effects on our ideas, strategies, and outlook on the world. Showing positivity in our interactions by selecting things that are pleasant and predetermined to believe in.
- 27:35 Explaining cognitive dissonance on our ideas and thought process.
- 28:51 The law of human nature story of Pericles, a great ruler in the golden age of Athens. The rise and fall of his empire.
- 30:16 The changing and shocking characteristic of Pericles and his pending war with Sparta.
- 31:32 In the year 430BC a plague breaks out in Athens; death rate and consequences.
- 31:56 Robert’s favorite book Thucydides “History of the Peloponnesian War” highlighting the plague in detail.
- 32:22 Excerpts of the “History of the Peloponnesian War.”
- 35:29 The death of Pericles from the plague and the pandemonium that ensued with the birth of new corrupt leaders.
- 37:09 The parallels and comparison between ancient Athens in the past and America today and the pre-existing rationalities.
- 37:55 The views on social media – advantages and disadvantages and its impact on our emotional rationality.
- 41:29 The creation of a familiar strategy that is comparable with Pericles’ strategic war plan.
- 41:51 The Coronavirus and its effect on our irrational tendencies. Coronavirus, it is rapid spread, and its effect on human stupidity and rational thinking.
- 44:12 The rapid growth of a plethora of conspiracy theories and the non-political stance of the virus.
- 46:56 The ironic story of republican Louis Gomer of Texas and his attitude towards masks.
- 48:24 The hypocrisy of Rand Paul after contracting coronavirus.
- 50:27 Notice in the growth of advice, quotes, optimism, and happy talk on Instagram and Facebook.
- 51:05 Comments and critiques on YouTube by the public on my political views – from left wing, liberals.
- 52:49 The insight and foresight of frustration, anger, and rage in persons, due to COVID.
- 53:38 The impact of a 1980 film by the film director Alan Renee called monocle d’amatique and the scientist Anri Laborie and the focus on experiments on mice, and the theories concluded.
- 54:44 The impact and change in the brain’s structure when situations and circumstance change, releasing hormones.
- 55:28 The impact of not being able to “fight or flee” and the resulting physical reactions.
- 55:51 Solutions on how to save our brains from this psychological pandemic we are all encountering, Suggestions on fighting our irrationalities.
- 56:53 How to incorporate humility in changing one’s emotions and the fleeing from social media.
- 59:43 The assumption of long-term effect from the inability to fight or flee after being locked up for 3 to 8 months.
- 60:51 Topic of next podcast – Dissecting human narcissism, the roots of narcissism, and what we can do about it.
Laws of Human Nature by Robert Greene
The 48 Laws of Power by Robert Greene
The 33 Strategies of War by Robert Greene