During our Annual Silicon Valley Investors Club meet up, fellow investor Mike Fuller joined us to talk about his experiences investing in real estate. This episode is jammed packed with great tips and advice to help any full time employee get started in real estate investing.
In this talk you’ll learn about:
- Why Mike started investing in real estate
- Why he focuses on A and B neighborhoods
- How he manages his properties out of state
- How he scaled his RE investing endeavors
- How he partners with property managers to find properties
- Challenges he faced during his investment career
- The importance of having a conservative investment approach
- What he learned from the financial crisis
- The power of paying for real estate in all cash
- Why refinancing can be tricky
- How to use property managers to close real estate transactions and to vet properties
- The importance of using your time efficiently so your real estate investing doesn’t get in the way of your full-time job.
- And much more!
Quote From The Interview: “A full bank account is like a full bladder. Some people feel the urge to piss it away.” – Warren Buffet
Notes From the Talk:
0:56: Start to Mike’s real estate investment
2:38: Mike’s experience with property managers
3:18: How to handle multiple properties
3:35: Mike’s early challenges
6:37: The financial crsis and the expensive education of real estate
10:22: Financing when handling multiple properties
13:15: Equity, gains, and losses
15:29: Why refinancing can be tricky
17:36: The importance of having a real estate investing philosophy
19:27: Using property managers to close real estate transactions and to vet properties
23:18: The trouble of trying to find a good deal in a pricey market and the problems of trying to sell your investment
Links from the episode:
- How to interview property managers
- Tech employees guide to real estate investing
- Real Estate investors toolbox
- Everyone hates sitting on cash…until they need it.
What is the Silicon Valley Investors Club?
The Silicon Valley Investors Club (SVIC) is a community created by and for technology professionals who are interested in becoming more discerning, knowledgeable, and profitable investors. Our members are dedicated to learning how to make wise investments in real estate, stocks, bonds, startups, company acquisitions, and financial planning by discussing investment strategies and experiences. Each day, a story related to investing will be posted to the group’s Facebook page to serve as a jumping-off point for in-depth, quality discussions among like-minded investors. Make sure to join our Facebook Group and LinkedIn Group